If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (805) 541-1271

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

"What to do when you find mold in your establishment."

8/20/2019 (Permalink)

If the health inspection finds a minor issue at your restaurant, they will allow you to resolve it before their next visit (that will come quickly). However, that doesn’t mean you should relax and let minor issues slip your attention. If there are a lot of them, or if the inspection finds a big problem, your restaurant can get shut down. A hefty fine and the bad press that follow a health inspection closure are awful for business. Therefore, you should avoid these significant issues at all cost.

The Usual Culprit — Mold

One of the most significant issues a health inspection can find is mold. The dreaded mold doesn’t mix well with anything, let alone food, so eradicating it everywhere it pops up should be your number one priority. Often you can’t see it, but you may smell the distinctive smell of moisture. That is also a sure sign that you may have a mold problem, and you shouldn’t ignore it. However, you also shouldn’t panic. While mold is a severe issue, we can get rid of it.

What Causes Mold to Appear

If you suspect that mold has indeed infected your dining establishment, there’s no time to waste. Calling an expert to come in and inspect your restaurant and deal with the potential problem is the best course of action. What’s more, an expert will also help you understand how to avoid future mold problems. However, it’s also important to be aware of the most common causes of mold in restaurants.

The bad news is that mold loves the moist, warm environment. Kitchens, bathrooms, and storage rooms are the ideal places where mold can make its new home and bloom. What’s more, restaurants have a lot of surface area that’s moist or damp, and that isn’t aired or dried-out very often. If we don’t use the area in question frequently, mold will bloom quite quickly and potentially overtake the entire kitchen and prep area.

Mold usually loves damp, undisturbed areas with low light. Therefore, we’ll often find it:

  • Under the sinks
  • Behind freezers and refrigerators
  • Close to the ceilings
  • On the floor
  • In the pantry
  • Around the microwave

Unfortunately, mold often goes unnoticed in most of these areas. Because you’re focusing on the dining area so much — keeping it clean and presentable — you often overlook how kitchens and bathrooms slowly become infected by mold. However, mold can quickly spread and take over the front of your restaurant. So, leave no stone unturned (and no area uncleaned) when you’re cleaning the restaurant or checking for mold.

How to Get Rid of Mold in a Restaurant

We always must be on alert since mold is quite sneaky. It can be quite hard to detect mold. After all, how often do you move your freezers to check what’s behind them? Probably not often enough. Even the smell of mold is a significant reason for concern. What’s more, it’s often the number one way to detect you have a problem — other than spotting mold with the naked eye, of course.

SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo has the right tools and expertise to remove mold efficiently and without the hazard of worsening the problem. So, if you see mold — don’t touch it. Call for help and get a thorough diagnosis. If your restaurant has been closed due to a mold issue, you will need the paperwork to prove that the problem was handled by professionals and cleared, before you get the green light to re-open your dining institution.

Other News

View Recent Posts