Recent Mold Remediation Posts

Water and Mold Damage Restoration Specialists Release Report on How To Prevent Mold Growth

10/20/2016 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Water and Mold Damage Restoration Specialists Release Report on How To Prevent Mold Growth Mold Remediation

SERVPRO has released a report on the six steps to help prevent the growth of mold after water damage has occurred after serving local clients with their Paso Robles water and mold damage needs. To view the report, click here (link) or see below.

14,000 people daily are affected by water damage. It is important to know how to eliminate conditions in which mold may grow and infest the home to help prevent the growth of molds.

All homeowners who have recently experienced water damage should be concerned about mold, as it can grow rapidly. Worse yet, it doesn’t take much water for it grow and it can be much deadlier than expected. The sooner an infestation is taken care of, the better.

 

Here are six tips to help reduce the likelihood of mold growth:

 

Remove the water as quickly as possible.

Use a wet or dry vacuum to soak up as much water as possible. This limits the possibility for the mold to grow.

 

Use fans to dry the floors and carpets faster.

It may take several days for fans to completely dry water damage. Leave them on constantly for at least a few weeks to help circulate cool and fresh air as well as speed up the drying process.

 

Dehumidify the affected room.

Mold grows in moist, warm and dark areas. Dehumidifying the room helps cool the air and limit mold and mildew growth. Any equipment you can use to dry the air and ground will be useful in mold prevention.

 

Steam-clean your carpet.

Steam-clean any and all carpets to properly sanitize and wipe out any spores which may have started growing. Any water-damaged carpet padding may need to be replaced, but is still much cheaper than having to entirely re-carpet the house.

 

Sanitize walls and baseboards.

Anything that has been touched by storm water should immediately be sanitized. Clean any hardwood floors, walls, or other surfaces with soap, water, chlorine, and bleach to minimize mold growth.

 

Lastly, check affected furniture for any signs of mold growth that may have begun

Check all furniture for water damage, and remove the furniture from wet flooring. Water damage may hide itself under carpets or rugs, so be sure to thoroughly inspect the home.

Even following the above steps, it is likely that a mold infestation may still be present in the home. If any visible signs of mold are noticed, then an infestation/colonization has occurred. For any extensive mold damage situations, it is best to call in the professionals, such as SERVPRO, a company that has, in the past, provided Paso Robles water damage restoration.

 

Water damage and mold remediation solutions

SERVPRO is the leading company in fire damage, and mold remediation areas. They are constantly investing in the latest training for mold remediation so that they can meet any customer service needs to quickly and professionally make it “Like it never happened.” When disaster strikes, call SERVPRO at (805) 239-0466

 

Press release by San Luis Obispo SEO company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446 (805) 226-9890.

Common Mold Misconceptions

9/21/2016 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Common Mold Misconceptions mold

Mold is always present. Molds and mildews are very common indoors and out, and spores in the air can quickly latch on and begin to grow on any surface where there is moisture. Most people hold many misconceptions about mold and the best tactics on how to keep their home healthy and clean. Here are some of the most common mold misconceptions:

1) Mold is safe to clean myself

No matter what type the mold is, it is always important to take all precautionary measures in order to prevent exposure. Because mold releases spores, the cleaning process can increase the amount of spores in the air exponentially. It is best to hire restoration professionals that are trained in mold removal and damage repair. SERVPRO has helped clients with Los Osos water damage restoration, ensuring that all of the hazardous materials are properly disposed of.

2) Black mold is “toxic” mold

Technically, no mold is “toxic.” Some molds are toxigenic, which means that they can create toxins, but mold itself is not poisonous. Many molds, however, and any large colony of mold can produce enough spores to create unhealthy conditions, especially to asthma or allergy sufferers. Stachybotrys is the black strain of mold that is most commonly associated with adverse reactions.

3) This mold isn’t black mold, so it isn’t harmful

The color of mold does not always indicate its toxicity. Mold can colonize in various colors such as brown, green, white and yellow as well as black. Any significant colony of mold can create increased levels of spores present in the air. Stachybotrys mold can be hazardous, but there are also other species of mold such as Alternaria, Aspergillus, Fusarium and Penicillium, that can be unhealthy as well if the colonization is extensive.

4) I’ve cleaned with bleach, so the problem is fixed

If the mold has begun to colonize in a porous material such as paper, drywall or wood, then surface cleaning with a watered down bleach solution is not always an effective solution. SERVPRO professionals will take the steps to address more extensive mold problems as they have done for Los Osos water damage restoration clients in the past.