Fall is Here! Don't Let Fire Safety Fall Short! Here are a Few Important Tips from SERVPRO:
As cooler fall weather moves in, SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo & Atascadero reminds you to keep electrical safety in mind. Here are a few safety tips to help you stay safe as things cool down:
- Safely store warm weather tools like lawn mowers and trimmers. BE CAREFUL not to park a lawn mower or other motorized tool with a hot engine near fallen leaves as they may ignite, causing a fire.
- ALWAYS check cold weather tools, such as leaf and snow blowers, along with their power cords, for unusual wear and tear. Repair or replace worn tools or parts right away.
- ALWAYS unplug and safely store battery chargers when not in use.
- Use ONLY weatherproof electrical devices for outside activities. Protect outdoor electrical devices from moisture.
- Keep dry leaves swept AWAY from outdoor lighting, outlets and power cords.
- Make sure electric blankets are in good repair. Power cords should not be frayed, cracked or cut. If you see ANY visible damage to an electric blanket, it should be properly disposed of immediately.
- NEVER tuck an electric blanket under mattresses or children, and NEVER put anything, on top of an electric blanket while it is in use. This includes other blankets and/or comforters/bedspreads.
- The same advice re electric blankets can be said for heating pads. Heating pads and electric blankets cause almost 500 fires each year. Almost all of these fires involve electric blankets that are more than ten years old.
We at SERVPRO hope these tips help you enjoy a safe, disaster-free Autumn and beyond. Restoration after smoke, fire and water disasters may be our specialty, but we don’t wish them upon anyone. But if they occur, SERVPRO is ready for whatever happens, 24/7.