SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo Talks Turkey About the Dangers of Deep Frying
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it’s time to talk turkey. Particularly, deep-fried turkey. If you’ve ever had it, you know how good it tastes. If you haven’t, well, you haven’t lived. Not only is it much faster to cook, but the flavor & moisture that results is amazing! BUT, there is some risk to preparing your bird this way, namely FIRE. The only thing faster than deep frying a turkey is how fast your holiday can be ruined if a fire results at your home. SERVPRO of San Luis Obispo has a few tips to prevent that from happening:
- Make sure the turkey isn't frozen—in fact, make sure that the turkey is COMPLETELY thawed. Oil and water do not mix. Dropping an unthawed turkey in hot oil can cause flames to ignite and spread through your home and property.
- Do NOT stuff the turkey before deep-frying or use any water-based marinades when deep-frying.
- Keep the frying at a distance—at least 10 feet away from the house, not inside any enclosures like a garage or a shed, and not under a porch or eaves.
- Keep a close watch on the deep-fryer. It only takes a moment of inattention to end up with fire damage, smoke damage, and/or even water damage if the Fire Department has to show up with their hoses!
- Keep children away from the deep-fryer. Oil burns are especially dangerous.
We at SERVPRO hope these tips help you enjoy a safe, disaster-free Thanksgiving and holiday season. Although restoration after water damage, smoke damage and fire disasters may be our specialty, we don’t wish them upon anyone. But if they occur, SERVPRO is ready for whatever happens, 24/7. Call us anytime at 805-541-1271.